Patente di guida

Licencia de conduccion / Permiso de conducir

Driver licence

If you plan to drive in Australia with your international licence, you’ll probably need a translation done by a NAATI Certified Translator.

Please note: Many of the road authority websites still refer to NAATI Accredited Translators - this is the old category of Australian qualification which was superceded by NAATI Certified Translators as of 01 January 2018.

International drivers licence in Victoria (VIC)

  • English translation by a NAATI accredited translator or an International Driving Permit issued by your home country

“Translating your driver licence, learner permit or documents

If your driver licence or learner permit is not in English, you must have it translated by any NAATI accredited translator, or an appropriate consulate in Australia. Fees may apply.”

International drivers licence in New South Wales (NSW)

  • Temporary visitors – English translation or an International Driving Permit
  • Licence transfers – Official translation from Multicultural NSW or the Department of Social Services (DSS)*

International drivers licence in Queensland (QLD)

  • Recognised English translation from a translator approved by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI)

International drivers licence in South Australia (SA)

  • An English translation, translated by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) approved translator and signed by the translator, or an international driver’s licence

International drivers licence in Tasmania (TAS)

  • English translation by a person accredited to translate, or an International Drivers Permit

International drivers licence in Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

  • Official English translation issued by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator, or an Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) accredited translator.

International drivers licence in Western Australia (WA)

  • Visiting drivers – an approved English translation or international driving permit
  • Licence transfers – translation is certified as being a true and correct translation of your original driver’s licence document and is done by an accredited translator (see National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters NAATI).

International drivers licence in Northern Territory (NT)

  • Visiting drivers – if the type of vehicle you are authorised to drive cannot be easily recognised on your overseas licence, you will also need to carry an International Driving Permit*
  • Licence transfers – an official translation of the overseas licence into English by an authorised translator, or an international driving permit

Driver licence translations:
$50 AUD +24 hour turnaround

Just email a scanned copy or photo of your licence (front and back) to

Get a fast quote

How many driver's licences do you need translated?

Books translated by Jacqueline Skewes

Information current as at 01 January 2018

*TradTrans cannot provide translations that meets this criteria and you will need to obtain your translation elsewhere

Just email for more information